First off, let me preface by saying that I am a football fan. I don't hate a team yet at the same time I don't consider myself a diehard fanatic of one team, I am simply a football junkie. Now saying that what exactly are the New York Jets? 13 weeks into this NFL season and the only thing that has been consistent of Gang Green has been their inconsistentcy in all facets of the sport.
- It's starts with the quarterback who has clearly taken a step back in 2011.
- The offensive line has yielded almost as many sacks as they did all of 2010.
- The RB position has had its moments but it's nowhere near where it should be for this team.
- The receivers and tight-ends have been all over the place all season.
- The defense is simply not the defense of two years ago and even last year.
- The secondary has been, well, good and it has been bad.
- Special teams started out strong and have taken a step back the past few weeks.
So forget about the areas and just focus on the games they've played. If you dissect every quarter of every game, what exactly have the Jets showed you to prove they can be a legitimate squad down the stretch? They were dominated opening night against Dallas and thanks to QB Tony Romo they were able to come back and win. Despite beating Jacksonville 32-3 they really did very little on offense and the QB did not have a great game. Gang Green then went on a tough three game road trip and loss all three to simply better teams. Even though they would win the next two games against Miami and San Diego, the Jets were bailed out by mistakes by Miami and mostly domination by San Diego. Now week 9 against Buffalo was their best played game against the Bills, everything went right in Buffalo. In their last four games all the Jets did was be totally pushed around by New England, Buffalo, and Washington but came out on top in the latter two. They did play well in Denver but could not stop the Broncos offense when it mattered the most.
So with only four weeks left, a two game winning streak that really was more luck than great play, and needing a lot of help in order to make the postseason the chances of the Jets making the playoffs are in a word slim. Why? Simple, what exactly have the Jets showed that they could make it. They can only use the "a win is a win" manta so many times.
-Follow Johnny on Twitter @MontalbanoNY and listen to his analysis of the week that was and the week that will be on "Review & Preview" Wednesday's from 5-6pm on WCWPSports.org